Posted by Bethan Bithell on 15th Mar 2023
Are you looking for that extra layer of clothing that will offer you extra warmth whilst at the same time being really practical but not sure whether a bodywarmer or gilet would be best? But, just what is the difference between these three garments? Well, to be honest, very little really!
The phrases ‘bodywarmer’, ‘gilet’ and ‘waistcoat’ are interchangeable, with many outdoor enthusiasts using any of these terms to describe a sleeveless jacket.
- A bodywarmer is a padded, outdoor, sleeveless garment designed to keep the wearer warm.
- A gilet is a lighter, sleeveless, mid-layer garment offering extra warmth without being bulky or restrictive
- A waistcoat offers a more formal style, often described as ‘the third piece of a suit.’
No matter what you’re looking for, whether a shooting gilet, walking bodywarmer or waistcoat, you’ll find the perfect piece in our collection. The guide below outlines some of our best sellers.
Waistcoat, Bodywarmer or Gilet?
There is a time and a place for all three garments and suitability largely depends what you will be using it for. Below is a collection of our top selling garments for outdoor working life, everyday-wear, shooting and hunting.
Our shooting vests:
- Allow plenty of freedom of movement in the arm and shoulder area
- Offer additional, specialist pockets for storing cartridges
- Are made using high quality material that will keep you warm and comfortable all day long
- Many are Teflon protected for stain and rain resistance to give you protection from the elements and ensure your garments are long lasting.
Game Technical Tweed Waistcoat is made from a high quality wool blend. Its Teflon coated for stain and rain resistance and features a range of pockets. Plus the quilted lining will help to keep you warm when on the hills.
Hoggs of Fife Kinloch Tweed waistcoat is made from 100% Lambswool tweed and features a lovely satin lining for comfort. This is a beautifully made tweed waistcoat, perfect for wearing over a shirt or as an additional layer under a shooting jacket.
Why not view our full range of shooting waistcoats!
For working life in the great outdoors you need:
- A practical garment that will perform all day long
- Heat trapping and moisture wicking technology
- Durability, ideally a Teflon coated garment
- Plenty of secure pockets for storing equipment you may need on the farm or shoot.
Percussion Gabion Fleece Gilet - a lightweight 100% polyester fleece gilet with an elasticated draw cord waist.
Hoggs of Fife Granite Ripstop Gilet - stain and rain resistant made from a hard-wearing durable gilet with plenty of pockets. A great bodywarmer for farmers, game keepers and outdoor workers.
Ladies Hoggs of Fife Stenton Fleece Gilet - this is a lovely soft polyester hollow pile fleece gilet with faux nubuck trim. This ladies fleece gilet is available in three fantastic colours!
Browse our full range of farming waistcoats and bodywarmers!
Our walking bodywarmers and gilets offer:
- Heat trapping technology to keep you warm in extreme conditions and weather events
- Material that will draw moisture out to keep you cool
- Lightweight feel while still keeping you warm
- Water repellent design.
Champion Banbury Gilet - made from a soft quilted fabric with two lower pockets and a beautifully printed lining.
Regatta Ladies Microfleece Waistcoat - this is an ideal midlayer for walking and hiking. The stylish cut of this waistcoat is very flattering.
Hoggs of Fife Kingston Rip Stop Gilet - a lightweight yet exceptionaly warm. The soft wadding and the strech bindings at the armholes results in a very comfortable gilet. Perfect for wearing as an additional layer under a jacket.
Browse our full range of walking waistcoats and gilets.
Due to their practicality and stylishness, bodywarmers and gilets make great additions to our everyday-use wardrobe. We have an excellent range of casual and more formal gilets that are perfect for social events, everyday tasks or smartening up an outfit.
Jack Pyke Countryman Fleece Gilet - 300grams fleece gilet with a beautifully embroidered pheasant on the chest. The nubuck piping trim adds a touch of class whilst the high neck collar offers warmth on those chilly days.
Hoggs of Fife Stenton Gilet - made from 100% polyester with a beautiful vellor finish, the Stenon gilet is available in three fantastic colours.
Game Stanton Fleece Gilet - made from a premium polyester fleece fabric with contrast piping. A great layer!
This is a just a small selection of what we have to offer from our bodywarmer, gilet and waistcoat collections.
To view more please visit our Men's Collection or Women's Collection
Be comfy, warm and safe and enjoy your time outdoors!