Posted by Bethan Bithell on 3rd Feb 2016
Suede or nubuck Grisport walking shoes or boots are sometimes preferred to leather to due their sporty look and flexibility.
Very little breaking-in is needed with nubuck or suede footwear. For example, the Grisport Java walking shoe is super light to wear and looks great with a pair of jeans or walking trousers.
Allow your nubuck or suede boots to dry out naturally, away from any heat source or direct light. By allowing the fabric to dry out slowly it allows the waterproof and breathable membrane (e.g. Sympatex, Gritex) to flex back to shape slowly, avoiding tearing or stretching. Natural drying also prevents bonded soles from peeling.
Tools for the job
- Suede brush
- Nail brush
- Nikwax Footwear Cleaning Gel
- Nikwax Nubuck and Suede Proof
- Newspaper (optional)
- Lay newspaper on the table, or floor ready to catch any dirt
- Remove the laces
- If the boots are saturated, stuff them with newspaper to draw moisture from the material and then change the newspaper, as it gets wet.
- Use a suede brush to remove any dirt, taking care to remove dirt from the lace hooks and tongue creases. Take care to blot the suede or nubuck. Never rub as this may damage the appearance.
- Use a nail brush to clean the sole lugs
- For a deep clean, use Nikwax footwear cleaning gel. This will improve the water repelling qualities and the breathability of the material.
- Leave the footwear to dry overnight
- Apply a waterbased waterproofing solution to improve the waterproofness and breathability of the material. Nikwax Nubuck and Suede proof can be applied easily on wet or dry boots.
We hope the above information will be of some use but should you need any further guidance or advice, please do contact us and we'll be only too pleased to help.
Enjoy being outdoors!
Please always follow the guidance, as recommended by the manufacturer, in order to avoid any potential damage to the material or any changes to the appearance.
Click here to view the cleaning, maintaining and reproofing leather Grisport boots and shoes